Mathematical puzzles don’t have to require complex mathematical formulas or the genius of Albert Einstein. In recent years the world has been sharing a series of maths and logic puzzles that were originally set for children, yet had the adults chewing their pens and pulling out their hair (in some cases, what was left of it!)
We have had the parked car puzzle which was set as a test for primary school children in Hong Kong, but many adults still found tricky to solve. Then came Cheryl’s birthday, a question set for 15 to 16-year-olds in Singapore, but seemingly impossible for anyone to solve. And then came the rod and string conundrum which stumped 96 per cent of top maths students in the US when it first appeared back in the 1990s.
Because all have proved so popular, and many of you have likely already solved those three puzzles, we’ve found another puzzle that will test your skill with maths.
Eight married couples meet to lend one another some books. Couples have the same surname, employment and car. Each couple has a favourite colour.
Furthermore we know the following facts:
1. Daniella Black and her husband work as Shop-Assistants.
2. The book “The Seadog” was brought by a couple who drive a Fiat and love the color red.
3. Owen and his wife Victoria like the color brown.
4. Stan Horricks and his wife Hannah like the color white.
5. Jenny Smith and her husband work as Warehouse Managers and they drive a Wartburg.
6. Monica and her husband Alexander borrowed the book “Grandfather Joseph”.
7. Mathew and his wife like the color pink and brought the book “Mulatka Gabriela”.
8. Irene and her husband Oto work as Accountants.
9. The book “We Were Five” was borrowed by a couple driving a Trabant.
10. The Cermaks are both Ticket-Collectors who brought the book “Shed Stoat”.
11. Mr and Mrs Kuril are both Doctors who borrowed the book “Slovacko Judge”.
12. Paul and his wife like the color green.
13. Veronica Dvorak and her husband like the color blue.
14. Rick and his wife brought the book “Slovacko Judge” and they drive a Ziguli.
15. One couple brought the book “Dame Commissar” and borrowed the book “Mulatka Gabriela”.
16. The couple who drive a Dacia, love the color violet.
17. The couple who work as Teachers borrowed the book “Dame Commissar”.
18. The couple who work as Agriculturalists drive a Moskvic.
19. Pamela and her husband drive a Renault and brought the book “Grandfather Joseph”.
20. Pamela and her husband borrowed the book that Mr and Mrs Zajac brought.
21. Robert and his wife like the color yellow and borrowed the book “The Modern Comedy”.
22. Mr and Mrs Swain work as Shoppers.
23. “The Modern Comedy” was brought by a couple driving a Skoda.
QUESTION: Who likes Violet? And can you find out everything about everyone from this?
Monica and Alexander Cermak like Violet.
|Daniella and Mathew Black||Shop-Assistants||Trabant||Pink||“Mulatka Gabriela”||“We Were Five”|
|Victoria and Owen Kuril||Doctors||Skoda||brown||“The Modern Comedy”||“Slovacko Judge”|
|Hannah and Stan Horricks||Agriculturalists||Moskvic||White||“Dame Commissar”||“Mulatka Gabriela”|
|Jenny and Robert Smith||Warehouse Managers||Wartburg||yellow||“We Were Five”||“The Modern Comedy”|
|Monica and Alexander Cermak||Ticket-Collectors||Dacia||violet||“Shed Stoat”||“Grandfather Joseph”|
|Irene a Oto Zajac||Account||Fiat||Red||“The Seadog”||“Shed Stoat”|
|Pamela and Paul Swain||Shoppers||Renault||green||“Grandfather Joseph”||“The Seadog”|
|Veronica and Rick Dvorak||Teachers||Ziguli||Blue||“Slovacko Judge”||“Dame Commissar”|